To force an early Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8, follow one of the two methods below. You will need administrative privileges to run the update.
Method 1 – Registry
- Locate the registry key:
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with the name AllowOSUpgrade, and set the value to 1.
- Run “Check for Updates” in Windows Update
Method 2 – Command Line
- Remove all files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- It seems Windows 10 won’t install with existing pending updates.
- These files are temporary storage for Windows Update so it’s okay to delete them
- Open Command Prompt and type;
- Open Windows Update from the Control Panel and you should see the update starting to download.
- If you get a Windows Update error, make sure you cleared the directory out above, and restart your PC.